May is National Bike Month!
Here are some suggestions for biking this month from the League of American Bicyclists and South Windsor Walk & Wheel Ways
- Go for a bike ride, solo or with members of your immediate household
- Explore your town and neighboring towns
- Ride the Charter Oak Greenway
- Ride a stationary bike or set a new milestone for your home exercise routine
- Check out these tips for riding safely and performing maintenance on your bike on the League of American Bicyclists Website: https://www.bikeleague.org/content/smart-cycling-tips-0 and videos: https://www.bikeleague.org/ridesmartvideos
- Be safe and wear a helmet
In addition to being National Bike Month, May is Mental Health Month. The benefits of exercising for physical health have been promoted for decades, and it’s increasingly recognized that physical activity benefits mental health, as well. Our well-being, physically and mentally, is in focus right now. We don’t talk often enough about the mental health benefits of biking, including reducing stress and anxiety, and improving happiness, mental focus, and sleep. You don't have to put on Lycra or bike up a mountain to get these effects. Short and regular physical activity will go a long way to a cumulative effect on your health. This May, we’re not only encouraging people to bike because it is fun, but also because it feels good and is good for you.